Thursday, December 29, 2011

And we're back...in the hospital

I had high hopes for 2011.
After everything that happened in 2010 - my complicated pregnancy, the girl's NICU stay, and the discovery of Harper's brain injury -  I just knew 2011 was going to be our year. It started out wonderfully. I was happy to be home with the kids, Harper was  making good progress and we were settling into a routine. Then, came the seizures. I don't think I need to tell you the rest. Suffice to say, the year did not unfold how I expected. And, now, we have almost reached the end.

We've been home from the hospital for almost two weeks. During that time, there was lots of medicine.

Harper's bedtime regimen

We moved. And, wow, it was overwhelming with everything else going on. But, we are happy to be in a larger, nicer space.


Our living room, right before the move

Christmas happened. It was more subdued than usual, but the kids got into the spirit.

Eliza enjoying the holidays

 Harper has had a few good days and quite a few fussy ones.

HJ captured during a happy moment
 
She hasn't been sleeping very well since we came home and her irritability level has been pretty high, even for her. I have been back and forth with the Neurosurgeon's office about the irritability. We tried extending her steroids and pain medicine a little longer. That worked for a few days. Then, last night, Harper woke up about 8pm and cried for four hours straight. I finally got her to sleep and decided an ER trip was not necessary last night, but I called this morning and the doctors and I decided that it was worth heading into the hospital for a CT scan just to be sure nothing weird was going on.

The CT scan today showed some fluid accumulation in Harper's brain, indicating that her body is having a hard time draining the fluid and it is building up, which is likely causing her irritability. She was admitted to the hospital this evening and is scheduled to have a second surgery to install a shunt tomorrow afternoon. The shunt is essentially a valve that drains the fluid from her brain and reroutes it with a tube down her body and deposits it near her stomach. She will have it her whole life.



In terms of brain surgery, this procedure is considered pretty routine. But, it's still brain surgery, which carries similar risks to the first time around - infection and bleeding are the main culprits - and it will involve a couple more days in the hospital. More hospital food, more uncomfortable nights on the pull out couch, more monitors beeping and nurses coming in every couple of hours and more babysitters for Eliza.

I will be glad to get my Harper back though. This fussy, sleepless Harper that came home from the hospital is not the girl I sent in for surgery on December 7. I understood that a certain level of fussiness was expected since she just had half of her brain disconnected, but I was growing concerned that it wasn't abating. If this is what needs to happen to bring her back, so be it.

At least this is happening during the tail end of 2011.
I'm not giving up hope for next year. After all, Harper is still seizure free and that's no small accomplishment.
Bring it on 2012 - I'm ready for whatever you have in store!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, Natalie! Wishing all the best to baby Harper, you, and the rest of the fam. Some inspiration from a different kind of doctor:

    "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind.
    Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
    But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see.
    Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!"
    ~ Dr. Seuss

    -Jamie P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa Majerus (friend of Renee)December 29, 2011 at 11:26 AM

    Natalie I have been following little Harper's story. I wanted to let you know that kenny had high pressure/ fluid build up after his brain surgery and was in horrific pain and it caused him to throw up and have awful headaches. After his VP shunt was installed he had no more head pain. Im not gonna lie though the mapping and process of the shunt placement was quite hard to watch. I hope this gives little Harper some relief. You guys are constantly on my mind. Lots of thoughts and prayers for the whole fam!


    Lisa Majerus

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart hurts for you Natalie. You have been through so much. I'll be praying for you all and especially sweet Harper. Praying the surgery goes well, and she will get some relief. I'll also be praying for an easy, perfect 2012 for you! Glad to hear no more seizures. That's great news. Sending prayers and love your way.

    ReplyDelete